Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

General information about applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is located on the Embassy’s website:

As a CRBA is not a travel document, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time. Both applications may be submitted together at your scheduled CRBA appointment.

Answer: CRBA or passport services for the child’s sibling(s)

A separate application is required for each child that is applying for a service. We will schedule the siblings for the same date and time.

Answer: Passport services for the child’s parent(s)

If your own passport service requires an in-person appearance, you will need to book a separate an appointment in your own name. Please, inform us by e-mail and we will do our best to schedule your passport appointment for the same date and time as your CRBA appointment.

In general, to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), you must:

  • Fill out the appropriate application form;
  • Provide supporting documents;
  • Provide a photo;
  • Pay the appropriate application fee; and
  • Schedule an appointment.

Step-by-step application instructions, including information about applications forms, fee payment, photograph requirements, required supporting documents and how to submit your application are provided on the Embassy website:

You cannot schedule an interview appointment online for a consular report of birth abroad (CRBA) in Brazil.

Effective July, 2023 you will be able to apply for a CRBA electronically in Brazil. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  • Was the child born in Brazil?
  • Is the child under the age of 18?
  • Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  • Can you use a credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  • Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).

For additional information please visit:

We recommend that you schedule your appointment as soon as possible to avoid issues with your travel. We do not recommend purchasing airline tickets without having your original passport in hand. You will be able to discuss whether an emergency passport is required based on your travel plans at your appointment.
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is official evidence of citizenship for children under the age of 18 born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) who acquired citizenship at birth. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the U.S. using a valid U.S. passport. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you resolve your child’s claim to citizenship before your child’s first journey to the United States.

If you believe that your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship you may apply for a CRBA and first U.S. passport in Brazil . After your child’s appointment in Brazil , we will forward the CRBA application to the Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over your child’s birthplace. Therefore, processing will take longer than normal. You will be advised further during the appointment.

Additional information on CRBA eligibility is available at:

Visit the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate via to find out how to apply for a CRBA for them in that country.
It is not possible to apply for a CRBA within the United States. If your child has not yet been documented as a U.S. citizen, go to to find out how to apply for a U.S. passport for your child in the United States. Their claim to citizenship will be adjudicated as part of the passport application process.

The Embassy does not keep copies of CRBA certificates on file. However, you may apply for a copy of a CRBA certificate through the Department of State in the United States.

Please visit and go to “How to Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad”–citizen/replace-amend-CRBA.html

Children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a certificate that serves as official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a child under the age of 18 who was born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s). It documents that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.

Information about transmission requirements and application instructions are provided on the following website:

We do not provide routine status updates for applications within the standard processing timeframe (3-4 weeks). If you/your child submitted an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and passport and it has been more than the standard processing time, you may contact the U.S. Embassy at: the U.S. Embassy or Consulate location where you applied.

Visit the following link for contact information:

If you live in Brazil and have questions about the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Lisbon, Portugal. For more information, please visit their website .

You may contact FBU Lisbon by email (please include your name, date of birth, phone number, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and your question).

General information on SSA services for people living outside the United States can be found at .