Additional Resources for U.S. Citizens

If you are interested in information about how to renounce or relinquish your U.S. citizenship in Brazil , please visit . Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration. Please do not schedule a Loss of Nationality appointment using our online calendar. All appointments for this service will be scheduled by email only.

Brasília –
Porto Alegre –
Recife –
Rio de Janeiro –
São Paulo –

General information is available at .

Foreign nationals wishing to tour the White House must apply to their country’s Embassy or Consulate in Washington, D.C.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil are not open to the general public to visit.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates cannot issue replacement or certified copies of U.S. birth certificates, death certificates, or marriage certificates. You can apply for a copy or request an amendment through the Vital Records Office in the state in which the event occurred:

You can find this information and more on the Embassy’s website .

For information about driving in Brazil you must contact the appropriate Brazilian authority.

If you are having issues related to a U.S. driver’s license, please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the state where the driver’s license was issued.

The IRS does not have an office at the Embassy. For important information from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for taxpayers living abroad visit:

If you still have questions after checking the IRS website, you can call the International Taxpayer Service Call Center for assistance at:

IRS refund checks are mailed to the individual’s last known address. If you are expecting a federal tax refund, you can check your refund status on the IRS website at:

There is information and resources available on the Department of State’s website which include tips on how to protect yourself and your money from scams.

On the website select “International Travel,” select “Emergencies,” and follow the guidance under “International Financial Scams.”

You are not required to report your marriage to the U.S. Embassy or a Consulate.

In general, marriages that are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. However, each U.S. state has its own marriage regulations. Therefore, you should contact the relevant state’s attorney general to check whether your marriage and marriage certificate will be valid there.

For additional information please visit:

Contact your local police to report a crime in progress or to report a missing person. They can contact Interpol for overseas crime.

Additional information is available at the Department of State’s website , select “International Travel,” select “Emergencies,” and follow the guidance under “U.S. Citizens Missing Abroad.”

If you would like to speak to someone directly regarding a missing U.S. citizen in Brazil , call the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

(61) 3312-7000 (8AM – 5PM)
(61) 3312-7400 or +1 (301) 985-8850 after hours

Porto Alegre
(51) 3345-6000 (24 hour emergency assistance)

(81) 3416-3050 (7AM – 4PM)
(81) 99916-9470 after hours

Rio de Janeiro
(21) 3823-2000 (8AM – 5PM)
(21) 3823-2029 after hours

São Paulo
(11) 3250-5000 (7:30AM – 4:30PM)
(11) 3250-5373 after hours
(202) 465-4311 or (202) 904-2116 from the U.S.

(85) 3223-4902 (8AM – 12PM)
(81) 99916-9470 after hours

(61) 3312-7000 (8AM – 5PM)
(61) 3312-7400 after hours
Phone assistance provided by the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia

(21) 3823-2000 (8AM – 5PM)
(21) 3823-2029 after hours
Phone assistance provided by the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro

The Embassy and Consulates are unable to rebook flights or provide travel assistance. Please contact your transportation company for information about how to reschedule or rebook your travel. If you booked through a tour operator, they may be able to assist. You can also contact your travel insurance company if applicable. If you are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the delay, the quickest way to seek help is to contact family and friends. If they cannot help, visit:

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website provides information about taking medication or food to the United States and information about prohibited and restricted items.

Visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website at:

The United States Postal Service (USPS) website provides information about mailing items overseas from the U.S, including lists of prohibited and restricted items.

Visit the United States Postal Service (USPS) website:

For information regarding what items you can take to Brazil from the U.S. you must contact the appropriate government authority in Brazil.

The U.S. Department of State’s Brazil Page is your one-stop shop for all the information you need to stay safe and have a great time in Brazil. On this page, you’ll find information on a variety of topics related to travel to Brazil, including visa requirements, local laws, health risks, safety and security, and transportation. We update the Brazil Page regularly, so you can be sure you’re getting the latest information.