Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consuls can assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances. Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the Consulate General or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours). Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, please visit the Embassy website at https://ca.usembassy.gov/ .

Under U.S. Citizen Services, select “Emergency Financial Assistance”.

Additional information is also available at the Department of State’s website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html , select “International Travel,” select “Emergencies,” and follow the guidance under “Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad”.

If you would like to speak to someone directly regarding Emergency Financial Assistance in Canada, call the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

Calgary: 403-266-8962, press “0” for immediate assistance

Halifax: 902-429-2480

Montreal: 514-398-9695

Ottawa: 613-238-5335

Québec City: 418-692-2095

Toronto: 416-201-4056

Vancouver: 604-685-4311